Subtitles are helpful for more than one reason. You can turn on subtitles or closed captions for almost all Max streaming movies and TV shows. It is helpful if you need them for accessibility, are learning a new language, or want to understand every line of dialogue without turning up the TV noise.
But there are times when subtitles on Max don’t work as they should. It includes times when subtitles suddenly stop working in the middle of a video or don’t show up. Users may also need help getting the subtitles out of sync with the video.
If you can play titles but need help seeing the subtitles you want to see, or if the subtitles you want to see only show up sometimes, there may be a problem with the Max streaming app on your device. If Max’s subtitles don’t work, you can fix it by following the steps in this guide.
So Let’s start It!
HBO Max Subtitles Not Working Mean
HBO Max is a place where people can watch movies or TV shows. But many users have problems, like HBO Max not being allowed to play the title, HBO going on and on, HBO Max not working, etc. Recently, there has been another problem: HBO Max subtitles not working.
Subtitles are important for streaming platforms because they can help you understand lines spoken quietly in a movie or TV show. It also makes it easier for people with trouble hearing to understand what they see.
Most of the time, this happens on HBO Max because the software files are broken. The “HBO Max subtitles not working” problem can happen if HBO’s computers are down or your network is slow. Next, let’s see how to get rid of the issue.
Fix Max Subtitles Not Working on Android
If you’re facing difficulty with captions or subtitles when watching on Max on your Android phone or tablet, you can easily fix the problem by restarting the app. Max is a fairly new streaming tool that sometimes has bugs or other problems.
If the subtitles don’t work, closing and reopening the Max app can fix any problems that might have caused them not to work in the first place. It also gives you a fresh start, which should stop any bugs you’ve seen from returning.
Bring up the Recents menu on your Android device and swipe up (or to the left or right) on the Max app card to close it. You can also long-tap on the Max app button, tap I or App info in the pop-up bar, and then tap Force Stop. Then, start it from your home screen or app drawer to see if the subtitles problem is fixed.
Try the following steps to fix it if it doesn’t work:
- Head to the App info page for Max (steps above), select Storage & cache, and tap the Clear cache.
- If closed captions don’t work even after clearing the cache, navigate to the same screen (as above) and tap Clear Storage. Note you’ll have to log back in.
- Confirm your Android phone or tablet is running the most up-to-date software version available.
- Go to the Play Store, tap your Profile icon at the top-right corner, then Manage apps and devices. See if there’s an update pending for the Max. If so, tap Update next to it.
- Rebooting your Android device may also help. Long-press your device’s Power button, then tap Restart in the following power menu. On some devices, the power menu is accessible from the top notifications and quick settings panel.
- Provided the problem persists, consider reinstalling Max. Here’s what you need to do:
- Head to the Settings menu, then Apps.
- Tap See all apps and select Max from the list.
- Tap Uninstall on the App info screen and confirm.
- Launch Play Store and search “Max” from the top search bar.
- Choose the streaming app in the results, then tap Install.
Fix Max Subtitles Not Working on iPhone / iPad
If you’re having trouble getting the subtitles to work while streaming Max on your iPhone or iPad, try these steps:
- Swipe up on the Max app’s preview window to force-close it from the App Switcher menu (swipe up from the bottom or double-click the Home button). Then, relaunch Max from your Home Screen.
- Head to your device’s App Store, tap your Profile at the top and scroll to the updates section. If an update’s pending for the Max app, tap Update.
- Max is compatible with Apple devices running iOS/iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- Reboot your iPhone or iPad. Some users have found it helpful to fix the closed captions issue with the Max app.
- Long-press any volume buttons alongside the side button, then drag the power-off slider to turn your iPhone off. Turn it back on by long-pressing the side button till the Apple logo appears.
- For iPad, long-press the top and volume buttons, then drag the power-off slider. Hold the top button to power it on.
- Delete Max from your iPhone or iPad and re-download it from the App Store if neither of the above fixes helps.
- Long-tap the Max app on your Home Screen till it begins to jiggle.
- Select Delete App to uninstall Max from your Apple device.
- Open App Store, navigate to Search and look for the Max streaming app.
- Finally, tap the Download icon next to the matching result.
Fix Max Subtitles Not Working on Android TV
Check out the following ways to fix the problem where subtitles (CC) don’t work on the Max app, whether you have an Android TV set-top box, a streaming media stick, or a Smart TV.
- See if your subtitle problem is only with a particular movie or TV show episode. Close the media you’re playing and pick a random title from Max’s streaming catalogue to confirm this. If the issue encompasses all content, continue with the troubleshooting.
- Press the Back button on your Android TV remote until you exit the Max app. After that, re-open it from your Home page or the Apps menu and check if the subtitles work. You can also force-close Max using these steps:
- Go to the Settings (cog icon) menu from your TV’s Home screen, select Apps, then Max from the list.
- Click the Force stop option, followed by OK to confirm.
- Clearing the app cache may also work. Navigate to Settings > Apps, choose Max, and click Clear cache.
- Rebooting your Android TV device may also resolve the issue. Either unplug it from the wall and plug it back in after 15-20 seconds, or long-press the Power button on the remote and click Restart.
Read More: What Does FIFA Stand For? (Full EXPLAINED)
- Ensure you’re using the latest version of Max on your Android TV.
- Go to the Play Store from your Apps menu.
- Click your Profile at the upper-right corner, then navigate to Manage Apps and Games.
- Head to the “Updates” section. If you see a pending update for Max, select it and click Update.
- Assuming nothing worked for you, reinstalling Max on your Android TV is the only option.
- Go to your Apps tab from the Home screen, find and highlight the Max app, and long-press the SELECT or OK remote button.
- Select Uninstall in the pop-up menu and confirm your decision.
- Head to the Play Store and install Max.
- If you have an Android phone or tablet linked to the same Google account as your TV, you can remotely install Max via Play Store on your mobile.
The following troubleshooting steps for the “Max subtitles not working” issue also apply to newer Google TV devices (e.g., Chromecast with Google TV, TVision HUB, recent Smart TV models from Hisense, Sony, TCL, etc.), more or less.
Fix Max Subtitles Not Working on Fire TV
If the Max closed captions don’t work on your Amazon Fire TV device, like the Firestick, Fire TV Cube, or a Fire TV Edition Smart TV, the options are pretty much the same as the ones above.
First, try closing and reopening the Max app. If that doesn’t work, try restarting your Fire TV device by holding down the Select and Play/Pause buttons on the remote for five seconds. You can also do this by going to Settings (the circle icon on the Home screen) > Device and clicking Restart.
Even though your Fire TV should automatically update your apps, make sure Max is up to date. You can check this by doing the following:
- Go to the “Your Apps & Channels” page by clicking the Apps or ⋯ icon on the Home screen.
- Highlight Max, press the Options (≡) button on your Fire TV remote, and then select More info.
- On the following Amazon Appstore overview page for the Max app, if you see the Update option, select it to continue.
Most of the time, the subtitles problem can be fixed by reinstalling the Max app. On the “Your Apps & Channels” screen, select Max, press the Options () button on the remote, and then click Uninstall. Then, from your Fire TV Home, go to the Find tab, look for “Max,” choose the app icon that matches, and click Download.
Checking for software changes on your Fire TV device is also very important. Go to Settings > Device > About and click “Check for Updates.”
Fix Max Subtitles Not Working on Web (Windows / Mac)
If you can’t see the subtitles when watching Max on your PC or laptop over the internet, try these things:
- Toggle off subtitles from the web player options, refresh the site by pressing F5 or Ctrl + R on your keyboard, and turn it back on.
- Visit max.com and log in to your account from another browser, e.g., the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or Safari. See if you encounter the same issue.
- Make sure your web browser is on the latest version. Go to whatismybrowser.com to check if your current browser needs an update.
- Websites store temporary files or “cache” on your browser to speed up the loading times the next time you visit them – saving you bandwidth. Streaming services save copious amounts of cache that may become corrupted or obsolete over time, leading to many errors and glitches. Clearing the cache can fix your problem of subtitles not working on Max.
- Chrome, Edge, and other Chromium-based browsers: Settings > Privacy & security > Clear browsing data > Set Time Range to “All Time,” tick the boxes for “Cached images and files” and “Cookies and other site data,” and click Clear data.
- Firefox: Menu > Options > Privacy & Security, choose Clear Data below “Cookies and Site Data,” tick the boxes for “Cached Web Content” and “Cookies and Site Data,” and click Clear.
- Safari: Click the Safari tab in the menu bar and choose Reset Safari. Next, untick every option except “Remove All Website Data” and select Reset.
Don’t let problems with closed captions stop you from watching your favorite movies and TV shows on Max. By using the answers and tips in this troubleshooting guide, you can quickly and easily fix any problems that may have stopped Max subtitles from working on your phone, computer, smart TV, or other device.
If you’ve tried everything to fix the subtitles or closed captions not showing up, cutting off, overlapping, or falling out of sync with the audio and nothing has worked, you should report the problem directly to Max through their Help Center or social media outlets.
After all, we’ve answered all the questions you had. We think you would have liked it a lot, now that you know the answers to your questions. If this article was even a little bit helpful, please let us know in the comments.