How To Change NAT Type On PC?
In the XNUMXth century, access to a fast internet connection is a prerequisite. People are spending hundreds of dollars upgrading their plans and equipment to ensure their internet speeds aren’t left behind.
However, despite their best efforts, many users are left in the dark as they try to figure out the reason for the slow network speed. If this sounds like your problem and you’re having trouble condensing your network connection, it’s time to change the NAT type on your computer.
How to change NAT type on PC
What is NAT?
While everyone enjoys surfing the Internet, only a few are aware of the hundreds of background processes online to connect. One of them is NAT, which stands for Network Address Translation and is essential for your Internet setup.
It translates the various private addresses on your network into a single public IP address. In simpler terms, NAT works through a modem and acts as an intermediary between your network and the Internet.Make Internet Freedom A Priority Get PUREVPN Exclusive DEAL
Acting as an intermediary is not the sole responsibility of NAT. Here are the goals of Network Address Translation (NAT):
- Prevent excessive use of IP address: Originally, each device had its IP address, a set of numbers that give it a unique identity on the Internet. But with the advent of the Internet, these addresses are running out. It is where NAT comes in. NAT converts all private addresses on the network system into a public address to ensure that IP addresses are not exhausted.
- Protect your IP address: By assigning new addresses to all devices in the system, NAT protects your IP address.
In addition to this, the service also acts as a firewall, as it checks for data entering your local network.
Types on NAT
Your Internet connection speed may be affected by the severity of the type of NAT on your computer. Although there are no formal guidelines for differentiating between the different types of NAT, there are three widely recognized classes.
1. Open NAT: As the name suggests, open NAT places no restrictions on the amount or nature of data shared between your device and the Internet. Applications, especially video games, will work well with this type of NAT.
2. Moderate NAT: The moderate NAT type is a little more secure and slower than the open type. With moderate NAT, users also get firewall protection that prevents any suspicious data from entering your device.
3. Strict NAT The probable cause of your slow Internet connection is Strict NAT. Although highly secure, strict NAT restricts almost all data packets your device receives. Frequent delays in applications and video games can attribute to strict NAT.
How to Change Network Address Translation (NAT) on Windows 10 Computer
If you have a slow connection, it’s probably time to change your computer’s NAT type. Your modem may support strict NAT, making it difficult for data packets to access your device. However, there are several methods you can try to change NAT type on Windows PC:Binge Watch Netflix with Vypr VPN
Method 1: run UPnP
UPnP or Universal Plug and Play is a set of protocols that help devices on a network communicate with each other. The service also allows apps to automatically forward ports, which significantly improves the gaming experience.
1. Open your browser and connect to your router’s configuration page. Depending on your machine model, the address of your router’s control panel varies. This address is often located, along with the username and password, at the bottom of the modem.
2. Once connected, find the UPnP option and enable it.
Note: Enabling UPnP puts your computer at risk and makes it vulnerable to cyber-attacks. Unless your network is rigorous, UPnP is not recommended.Make Internet Freedom A Priority Get PUREVPN Exclusive DEAL
Method 2: Run Network Discovery in Windows 10
Another way to change the type of NAT on your computer is to enable Network Discovery on your Windows computer. This option makes your computer visible to other computers on the network and improves your Internet speed. Here’s how to run Network Discovery on Windows 10:
1. On your computer, click on the “Start” button and open “Settings.”
2. Click “Network and Internet” to open all the settings related to the network.
3. On the next page, tap “Wi-Fi” from the left panel.
4. Scroll down to “ Related settings ” and click “ Change advanced sharing options ”.
5. In the ” Network discovery ” section Click on ” Enable network discovery ” Then activate. ” Activate automatic configuration for networked devices “.
6. The translation of the network address must be changed, which will speed up your Internet connection.
Method 3: use port forwarding
Port forwarding is one of the best ways to change the type of NAT on your computer without compromising the security of your device. With this process, you can create exceptions for specific games and improve their overall performance.
1. Visit www.purevpn.com And find the default ports for the game you want to play.
2. Now, following the steps mentioned in method XNUMX, go to your router’s configuration page.
3. Search for “Port forwarding.” It may be under Advanced Settings or in other equivalent menus, depending on your router model.
4. On this page, activate “Port Forwarding” and click on the option that allows you to add specific ports.
5. Enter the default port number in the empty text fields, click Save.
6. Restart your router and restart the game. It must change your NAT type.
Method 4: use the configuration file
A somewhat advanced but effective way to change your network address translation is to process your router configuration. This method will fix the problem while keeping your device safe as it is.
1. Once again, open your router’s control panel.
2. Look for the option that allows you to save your router configuration and save the file to your computer. It will keep the router configuration to a notepad file.
3. Make sure to create two copies of the configuration file to have a backup copy in case something goes wrong.
4. Open the text file and press Ctrl + F to find specific text. Look for “the last link.”
5. Under “Last Bind”, type the following code: “Application Bind = CONE (UDP) Port = 0000-0000”. Instead of “0000”, enter your game’s default port. If you want to open more ports, you can use the same code and change the port value each time.
6. After adjustments make, save the configuration file.
7. Go back to your router’s control panel and click the option to restore your configuration file.
8. Browse your computer and select the file you just saved. Download it from your router’s configuration page and restore the settings.
9. Restart the router, and you should change your computer and your NAT type.Make Internet Freedom A Priority Get PUREVPN Exclusive DEAL
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q1. How can I get rid of strict NAT?
There are several ways to get rid of strict NATs from your computer. Go to the router’s configuration page and find the “Port Forwarding” settings. Activate port forwarding here and click Add to save the new ports. Now enter the ports of the game you want to play and save the settings. It must change your NAT type.
Q2. Why is my NAT type strict?
NAT stands for Network Address Translation and assigns a new public address to your remote devices. By default, most routers have strict NAT. It results in a high level of security and prevents any suspicious data from entering your device. While there is no official way to confirm your NAT type, online gaming performance is sufficient to help you know if your NAT is strict or open.
Slow and lagging games can be frustrating and ruin your entire online experience. However, with the above steps, you should fix the problem and improve your network connection.
We hope you have found this guide helpful and that you have successfully changed the NAT type on your computer. If you have any questions, write them down in the comments section below, and we’ll help you out.
How To Change NAT Type On PC?