Best Combination Supplements for Weight Loss and Muscle Gain 2023
Even if you’re unfamiliar with the concept of “stacking supplements,” many fitness and health enthusiasts have an intuitive sense of how taking different supplements may help you achieve different fitness goals. To burn fat, you take a fat burner. To build muscle, you take a protein shake.
Easy as that, right??
What’s not so obvious is how to best stack multiple supplements to simultaneously maximize your fat burns and muscle gains.
Especially given that protein powder supplements aren’t the only type of supplements that help you build muscle.
In fact, the best fat burner supplements double as anabolic muscle boosters.
Likewise, taking an effective protein powder may also help you achieve greater fat loss.
And we’ve yet to mention here the fat-burning, muscle-building benefits of other pre-workout, intra-workout, and post-workout supplements, especially when taken together.
To produce significant weight loss and muscle gain results in a healthy, sustainable way, you’ll need a reliable stack of healthy workout supplements that not only work well on their own, but combine in such a way that synergizes, multiplies, and complements each supplement’s standalone effects.
Brutal Force: Buy From Official Store
With the supplements listed below, you’ll learn how to create the Best Combination of Supplements for Weight Loss and Muscle Gains that helps you burn fat to build muscle and build muscle to burn fat.
The list of the best combination of supplements for weight loss and muscle gain includes:
- Cayenne Pepper Extract – supplies capsaicin, a fiery hot fat burner that triggers pre-exercise thermogenesis and stimulates fat oxidation.
- Coleus Forskohlii Extract – traditional Ayurvedic herb suggested to promote cAMP activity in support of muscle gains and lipolysis (fat burning).
- HMB – a bioactive metabolite of leucine, HMB encourages fat loss over muscle breakdown for exercise energy while fasting.
- Creatine – an organic compound highly concentrated in muscle tissue, where it is stored as fuel for the production of cellular ATP energy.
- Setria® Performance Blend – a premium combination of L-citrulline + L-glutathione, a pre-workout duo for enhanced N.O. boosts and muscle pumps.
- BCAAs – branched-chain amino acids, a class of anabolic amino acids suggested to improve anabolic muscle gains, recovery, and weight loss results.
- KarboLyn® – a simple + complex sport carbohydrate bioengineered to absorb faster and last longer, delivering crash-free energy to exercising muscles.
- Oryzatein® – the only certified organic brown rice protein comparable to whey protein, supplying a leucine that absorbs 30% faster than whey leucine.
- SR Beta-Alanine – an extended-release beta-alanine form that gradually increases muscle carnosine levels for enhanced muscle recovery and performance.
- Pomegranate Extract – a rich source of polyphenols, a class of antioxidants demonstrated to enhance muscular circulation and combat muscle-damaging oxidative stress.
This guide discusses how these workout ingredients can help both men and women maximize their bodybuilding efforts towards achieving a lean, cut physique.
For sake of clarity, we’ve split these ingredients into three supplement categories:
- Pre-Workout – ingredients that prime thermogenesis and muscle performance.
- Intra-Workout – ingredients that replenish energy and prolong endurance.
- Post-Workout – ingredients that recover, repair, and nourish torn tissues.
Individually, these ingredients work great for their intended tasks.
Yet, taken together, these ingredients synergize their bio-benefits to comprise the best combination of supplements for weight loss and muscle gain.
Pre-Workout: Fat Burns + Muscle Gains
Though we exercise to burn fat and build muscle, fat burning and muscle building begin before the workout even starts.
Or at least they do if you’re taking an effective pre-workout stack of supplements, such as these:
1) Cayenne Pepper Extract
One of the most effective non-stimulatory fat burners, Cayenne pepper extract stimulates the release of thermogenic hormones that spike body heat, resulting in a hot skin flush and sweating.
The bioactive constituent of cayenne pepper extract, capsaicin, seems to work by:
- Triggering thermogenesis, or energy expenditure, prior to exercise to maximize the body’s calorie-burning capacity.
- Stimulating lipolysis (fat breakdown) and exercise-related fat oxidation by promoting the activity of fat-burning hormones.
As an ergogenic, cayenne pepper extract may help prolong exercise endurance without interrupting the metabolic benefits of exercise.
This was observed by a group of researchers who studied the effects of capsaicin supplementation on high-intensity intermittent exercise to find that:
Look for Capsimax®: a premium cayenne pepper extract standardized to 2% capsaicinoids and buffered by OmniBead™ microsphere technology to minimize the gastric burning side effects typically associated with spicy foods and peppers.
2) Coleus Forskohlii Extract
Used for centuries in the traditional Ayurvedic health system, Coleus forskohlii is a legendary herb of significant vitality-enhancing properties.
Prized today as a botanical fat burner and sexual health booster, Coleus forskohlii supplies forskolin, a bioactive labdane diterpene demonstrated to increase activity of cAMP, a signaling compound that:
- Activates hormone-sensitive lipase to catalyze the breakdown of triglycerides, the building block units of stored body fat.
- Increases activity of hormonal cell messengers that regulate metabolism, thermogenesis, and anabolic muscle growth.
Altogether, the combined benefits of forskolin’s cAMP-boosting effects may help promote a lean body composition by simultaneously boosting thermogenic fat loss and anabolic muscle gains.
Look for ForsLean®: a well-known, research-backed extract of Coleus forskohlii standardized to 10% forskolin that’s been demonstrated in research to safely help mitigate weight gain over the course of 12 weeks without any clinically significant side effects.
3) HMB (β-Hydroxy β-Methylbutyrate)
An emerging bodybuilding ingredient favored by top fat burner supplements, HMB (β-Hydroxy β-Methylbutyrate) is a bioactive metabolite of leucine, the most anabolic amino acid of the 3 BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids).
Taken in a pre-workout context, HMB may help improve both your body composition and fitness performance by supporting:
- Anabolic Growth Factors: HMB seems to stimulate activity of muscle growth factors, contributing to an increase in protein synthesis, while protecting against the muscle-damaging effects of exercise-related enzyme activity.
- Athletic Endurance: HMB may have a buffering effect on muscle tissue, resulting in greater strength and endurance for both aerobic and anaerobic exercise.
- Lipolysis (Fat Breakdown): HMB encourages the breakdown of stored fat while protecting muscle tissue against the deleterious effects of fasting.
- Especially under conditions of fasted and fasted training (e.g., intermittent fasting), HMB is a particularly effective ergogenic for both fat loss and muscle gains. Adding HMB to your pre-workout stack may help encourage your body to burn fat for exercise energy.
One of the most popular pre-workout ingredients, Creatine is a go-to performance enhancer for many, thanks to this organic compound’s reliable boost on strength, endurance, and anabolic muscle gains.
Used to produce cellular ATP energy, creatine powers high-intensity exercise, including strength training and short-burst interval training, and may help curtail the natural creatine drop accompanied by such exercise. Creatine promotes a lean body composition by:
- Saturating muscle tissue with an additional ATP energy recharge, resulting in greater muscle strength and endurance.
- Naturally stimulating insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1), an anabolic factor that promotes lean muscle development.
- Buffering lactic acid buildup in exercising muscle tissue to extend time of muscle exertion and protect against exercise-related muscle soreness.
Taken daily and consistently, creatine is a safe ergogenic aid with research-backed benefits on both muscle strength and mass gains.
Look for Creapure® pH10: a 99.5% pure form of creatine monohydrate, Creapure® pH10 is pH-balanced to boost bioavailability and minimize bloating and gastric distress side effects commonly associated with creatine supplementation.
The purity and potency of Creapure® pH10 allows for smaller dosages than your standard creatine supplement.
5) L-Citrulline + L-Glutathione (Setria® Performance Blend)
Alongside creatine, nitric oxide (N.O.) boosters rank highly on the list of most effective pre-workout supplements.
And, together, L-citrulline + L-glutathione comprise one of the best N.O.-booster stacks for improved exercise performance and lean muscle gains.
The distinct sports nutrition benefits of these PWO ingredients include:
- L-Citrulline: a precursor to L-arginine, a nitric oxide (N.O.) booster that promotes circulation and enhances the delivery of oxygen and nutrient to muscle tissue.
- L-Glutathione: a master antioxidant enzyme that promotes and sustains L-citrulline’s N.O.-boosting benefits, while protecting against exercise-related oxidative stress and pathogens.
In 2018, a group of researchers observed the combined effects of glutathione (GSH) and L-citrulline (CIT) on muscle mass and performance, finding enough evidence to conclude that “supplementation of GSH + CIT during resistance training [RT] increased lean mass after 4 weeks of RT and was positively associated with muscle strength.”
Look for Setria® Performance Blend: manufactured by Kyowa Hakko Bio Co. Ltd., a world leader in health ingredient manufacturing and nutraceutical research, Setria® Performance Blend is a premium, patented combination of Kyowa Quality® L-Citrulline and Setria® L-Glutathione, two bio-advanced forms of these effective muscle-maximizing, protein-protecting pre-workout compounds.
Is Pre-Workout Caffeine Good for Weight Loss?
No doubt, one of the most popular pre-workout ingredients—if not the most popular—is caffeine, a mild stimulant that reliably boosts cognitive energy and alertness.
However, is caffeine so popular because it actually improves fitness and health, or does caffeine just simply feel good?
The answer is likely both. Especially considering that many pre-workout stacks tend to overdose their caffeine content, resulting in jittery, heart-racing side effects.
Yet, with a modest amount of caffeine balanced by nootropic L-theanine and L-tyrosine, as well as a smart, replenishing stack of B-vitamins, you may not only see significant improvements in your exercise performance but also your energy expenditure—i.e., calorie-burning rates—resulting in greater weight loss results and crash-free feel-good energy.
Learn more about the Best Caffeine Pills.
Intra-Workout: BCAA + Carbohydrate
For both aerobic and anaerobic—high-intensity and long-endurance—training, an intra-workout supplement taken during exercise may help sustain performance, especially as your mid-workout energy levels begin to taper off.
To extend your fat-burning energy expenditure and maximize your anabolic muscle gains, add the following intra-workout supplements to your workout routine:
1) Branched-Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs)
Branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) are a special class of amino acids that make up roughly one-third of the protein that comprises muscle tissue. As intra-workout supplements, BCAAs rapidly absorb into exercising muscle tissue, where they stimulate muscle protein synthesis, potentially reducing post-exercise muscle soreness.[16,17]
The three BCAAs include:
- L-Leucine: the most anabolic BCAA, L-leucine assists with protein synthesis, muscle growth and repair, and bone health, while also protecting against catabolism.
- L-Isoleucine: required by hemoglobin, which enables red blood cells to transport oxygen to exercising muscles, L-isoleucine is a key BCAA for tissue healing, energy, and immune function.
- L-Valine: also assisting with protein synthesis, L-valine further enhances muscle growth, repair, and energy.
Because L-leucine is the most anabolic BCAA, many BCAA stacks tend to overconcentrate their formulas with L-leucine, supplying 4:1:1 (or even 10:1:1) ratios of L-leucine to L-isoleucine to L-valine. However, the muscle-optimized BCAA ratio, meaning the ratio that matches the natural BCAA ratio found in muscle tissue, is 2:1:1, which also happens to be the most research-backed BCAA ratio.
Don’t buy the hype: buy a 2:1:1 BCAA ratio of L-leucine to L-isoleucine to L-valine, instead.
Look for Ajipure® and NutriGenesis®: the two cleanest BCAA forms, Ajipure® and NutriGenesis® BCAAs respectively deliver a clean, bioavailable BCAA stack sourced from non-GMO gluten-free vegetables using eco-friendly Ferment-A-Pure technology and a probiotic-cultivated BCAA stack complexed with absorption-enhancing natural cofactors, such as fiber, enzymes, and antioxidants.
2) Carbohydrates Best Supplements for Weight Loss and Muscle Gain
The harder you exercise, the quicker your burnout. Specifically, the quicker you burn out of your glycogen (stored carb) muscle fuel, which helps sustain high-intensity training and muscle stamina. Once glycogen dries up, muscle fatigue sets. No more exercise!
This explains the purpose of carb loading, a strategy to saturate your muscle glycogen reserves for peak performance and growth. Except, there’s a problem: your glycogen reserves only store a limited amount of carb energy.
This is an especially BIG problem for intermittent fasting, which often involves entering a workout in a fasted state, thus risking low glycogen reserves from the get-go. However, by offering a fast-acting, easy-to-absorb source of carb-loaded energy, an intra-workout supplement taken mid-workout may help you extend your exercise, energy expenditure, and muscle gains without burning out too early.
Whether fasting or not, having a clean, strategic source of carbohydrates to replenish glycogen stored energy—not fat storage—is key to your fitness health and longevity.
Look for KarboLyn®: simple carbs spike energy too quickly for short-duration bursts followed by a net energy crash, whereas complex carbs take too long to absorb to have any impact on your current workout. Which is why KarboLyn®, a simple + complex carb hybrid, is the best intra-workout carbohydrate for fast-acting, long-lasting boosts on muscle energy. No carb crashes or absorption delays—only clean, carb-loaded exercise energy.
Post-Workout: Protein + Recovery
When the workout ends, the gains begin. So long as you take care to protect and replenish your torn-up tissues with post-workout recovery and repair supplements.
To kickstart your post-exercise anabolic bodybuilding processes, add the following supplements to your post-workout supplement stack:
1) Organic Brown Rice Protein Best Supplements for Weight Loss and Muscle Gain
Amino acids build proteins, and proteins build muscle tissue. And while supplementing BCAAs may help enhance muscle performance during exercise, taking a protein shake immediately after exercise delivers the essential protein macros required for greater muscle tissue growth and repair.
But you don’t want any ol’ protein powder supplement. The best post-workout protein for healthier weight loss and muscle gain results is Organic Brown Rice Protein.
Because whey protein, the most popular protein supplement type, is animal-based (specifically, milk-based), many fitness and health enthusiasts are reasonably turning towards cleaner, plant-based protein types, such as rice protein.
For improvements on body composition and exercise performance, rice protein supplementation is just as effective as whey protein. In fact, in a study comparing the effects of whey vs. rice protein supplementation, a group of researchers found significant improvements in
lean body mass, muscle mass, strength, and power, as well as a decrease in fat mass, with 8-week supplementation of rice protein with resistance exercise.
2) Sustained-Release Beta-Alanine
An advanced beta-alanine form, SR (Sustained-Release) Beta-Alanine works similar to standard beta-alanine, which improves exercise performance by increasing concentration of carnosine in fast-twitch muscle tissue, albeit with a slower delivery rate of carnosine.
Primarily intended for post-workout use, SR beta-alanine gradually raises and sustains high levels of muscle carnosine over time, remaining in the body longer than standard beta-alanine for a more significant increase in muscle carnosine levels.[20
The fitness benefits of beta-alanine include:
- Increased working capacity of muscle
- Delayed onset of muscle fatigue and failure
- Overall enhanced muscle strength and endurance
Look for SR CarnoSyn®: the go-to beta-alanine brand preferred by supplement manufacturers and exercisers, CarnoSyn® is a world leader in beta-alanine manufacturing and research. With over 55 studies performed on the CarnoSyn® brand, this is easily the most reliable beta-alanine option available.
3) Pomegranate Extract Best Supplements for Weight Loss and Muscle Gain
Fun to eat, pomegranates are also valuable both as a health food and as a natural ergogenic aid, thanks to their high concentration of polyphenols, a class of antioxidants shown to boost neuroprotection, circulation, and resistance to damaging free radicals.
Though found in other antioxidant-rich fruits, pomegranate-specific polyphenols seem to uniquely promote muscle comfort and recovery after exercise.
In 2018, a group of researchers performed a systematic review on studies observing the effects of pomegranate (POM) supplementation on exercise performance and recovery, as well as exercise-induced muscle damage, oxidative stress, inflammation, and cardio health. Based on their findings, the researchers concluded that “POM has the potential to enhance exercise performance and to expedite recovery from intensive exercise.”
Look for P40p™ Pomegranate Extract: standardized to a potent 40% punicosides and 50% total polyphenols, 100 mg P40p™ supplies the equivalent antioxidant activity of one whole pomegranate, allowing you to reap the antioxidant benefits of eating a full pomegranate in capsule serving form.
Best Combination of Supplements for Weight Loss and Muscle Gain
To get the most out of your trips to the gym, Performance Lab® SPORT offers a diverse, eclectic mix of goal-oriented:
- post-workout supplements that may help maximize your weight loss and muscle gain potential.
From priming pre-workout thermogenesis and muscle energy to protecting anabolic muscle gains against exercise-related damages, the Performance Lab® SPORT Range has your workout covered from beginning to end.
With that in mind, here are each of the formulas that comprise the Best Combination of Supplements for Weight Loss and Muscle Gain. Enjoy!
best supplements for weight loss and muscle gain female
best supplements for muscle growth 2020
Top best supplements for building muscle and shredding fat
best fat burner and muscle builder combo
best supplements for weight loss and muscle gain 2019
The best supplements for muscle gain and strength
supplement schedule for muscle building
best supplement to build muscle and burn fat